William Coomes, Sr. *
to his spot on my family tree
WILLIAM COOMES was born in Coomes Purchase, Charles
County, Maryland, and died November 06, 1824 in Cox's Creek,
Nelson County, Kentucky. He married FRANCES
JANE GREENLEAF 1760. She was born in Maryland, and died
April 25, 1816 in Cox's Creek, Nelson County, Kentucky.
The William Coomes family left
Maryland, moving to Virginia. When hearing of the fertile ground
in "Kain-tuck-ee", the Indian name for Kentucky (meaning
beautiful ground), the Coomes family joined the pioneers, led
by James Harrod, in the early 1770s. They used flatboats and
poled them down the mighty Ohio. After journeying down the Ohio
for several weeks, the party made their first permanent camp
at a place called Drilling's Lick. It was located on the Kentucky
River, near the present day site of Frankfort, Kentucky. While
the men were busy with hunting and trapping, Frances Jane Coomes
began to manufacture salt. This was the first and earliest manufacturing
of salt in the state. After a short stay at Drilling's Lick,
the pioneers pushed further into the wilderness. They settled
at a place called Harrod's Station, later called Fort Harrod.
The men hunted and trapped and cleared land to grow crops. Frances
Jane Coomes spent much of her time teaching the children how
to read, write, and cipher.
Oct 28, 1779: William Coomes
this day claimed the right to a settlement & Preemption to
a Tract of Land lying on the waters of Beach Fork of Salt River,
known by the name of Cave Spring, by residing in this country
FOR TWELVE MONTHS, before the year 1778, satisfactory proof being
made to the Court they are of Opinion that the said Combs has
a right to a settlement for 400 acres of Land including said
Spring & a Preemption of 1000 Acres Adjoining & that
a certificate issue for the same accordingly (certificate book
of the Virginia Land Commission, 1779-1780)
During the War of Independence
there were three companies of volunteers from what at that time
was known as Kentucky County, Virginia. Captain John Holder's
company was organized in either 1799/1780, at Ruddells' and Martin's
Station, near the present day site of Cynthiana, Kentucky. William
Coomes was a sergeant in Captain Holder's company. His official
title was "Sergeant of the Continental Line".
After the war William Coomes
and family settled in Bardstown on a one thousand-acre farm two
miles northeast of the town. They wanted to be near people of
their own faith - Catholic; and, there was a large cave on the
farm for protection from Indians. William Coomes presented 105
acres to Father Badin for a new Church.
Children of WILLIAM COOMES
and FRANCES GREENLEAF are:
WILLIAM5 COOMES, JR, b. March 13, 1769, Charles County
Maryland; d. 1844, Daviess County, Kentucky.
CHARLES COOMES, d. Abt. 1843.
WALTER A COOMES, b. Abt. 1758; d. Abt. 1844.
ENOCH T COOMES, b. July 05, 1765; d. December 03, 1828.
NANCY ANN COOMES, m. ED MCFARLANE, 1789.
Information used with permission of Ann Whalen, Alexandria, TN
tree | Index of names | Resources
©Copyright 2004 Hey Banner Banner